COVID-19 information for EGU22 (last update 19 May 2022)
Please note: the information below has been researched with the utmost care and is kept up to date as much as possible. However, we cannot provide full guarantee of accuracy - neither Copernicus nor EGU could be considered liable. We strongly recommend to regularly visit the sites listed at the bottom of this page if you intend to participate in-person. Please pay special attention to the section on the requirements to enter EGU22 at the Austria Center Vienna, as these rules indicate conference access, and are more strict than the current rules to enter Austria or stay in Vienna.
Requirements to enter EGU22 at the Austria Center Vienna
- Entry to EGU22 at the Austria Center Vienna is only possible for pre-registered attendees who are fully vaccinated with an EMA-approved vaccine or for those who fulfil the requirements for recovery. On-site registration is NOT possible. Please note that the vaccination requirements to fulfill the 2G rule for the conference differ from those to enter Austria.
- Upon registration, attendees must first show their ID card and their proof of vaccination or recovery to a security officer in order to get a wristband. This wristband must be worn for the entire conference. After receiving the wristband, attendees must then show their ID card at a registration desk in order to receive their name badge. Entrance to the conference centre requires the combination of the wristband and the name badge.
- Digital proof of vaccination in the form of an EU-model QR code is preferred. As an alternative, a vaccination card or vaccination passport can be used. Any proof of vaccination must be available in English or German.
- Only the following EMA-approved vaccines are recognized to enter EGU22: BioNtech/Pfizer, AstraZeneca (but not Covishield), Johnson & Johnson/Janssen (only valid together with a booster), Moderna, and Nuvaxovid/Novavax. If you happen to be immunized with a different vaccine, such as Sinopharm, unfortunately you will not be granted entry to EGU22 at the Austria Center Vienna.
- Vaccines with two doses are valid for 180 days from the date of the second vaccination. The booster vaccination (third dose) is valid for 365 days.
- Proof of recovery in the form of an official medical certificate proving past infection can be used for 180 days, ideally presented in the form of a QR code. Any proof of recovery must be available in English or German.
- An FFP2 mask must be worn at all times. The only exception is while eating or drinking, which is not permitted inside of the lecture rooms or while standing at the lectern to give your presentation. Please be mindful to keep a safe distance from others when removing your mask.
- All lecture rooms allow you to disinfect your hands upon entry and conference assistants are to provide disinfection sheets to individually clean the chair armrests. In addition, all chairs are disinfected during the night.
- In special cases where tools are used by several people, single-use gloves are provided for your own protection. This includes the coffee stations and cutlery at buffets.
- Lecture rooms employ a one-way entrance and exit. The doors are signposted and all attendees are obliged to strictly follow these rules. In a few cases where individual lecture rooms only have a single entrance, attendees must let the former session's attendees leave the room before the subsequent session's attendees can enter.
If you start to feel unwell at any point during EGU22, even without a positive COVID-19 test, please put the wellbeing of your fellow attendees first, and refrain from attending the meeting in-person. If you do test positive for COVID-19 we ask that you inform us as soon as possible by emailing: firstname.lastname@example.org. Your information will be completely confidential and only read by one EGU staff person, but will allow us to monitor the general state of the meeting. Participants who have tested positive (and will stay in Vienna) are asked to call 1450 (+431450 for foreign phones) to receive further instructions from the Austrian authorities. Further information on 1450 is available here.
COVID-19 rules in Vienna
To keep locals and visitors safe, the following measures are in effect:
- FFP2 masks are required on public transport (including at train stations and airports), when using taxis and in essentials shops (e. g. supermarkets, post offices and pharmacies).
- The 3-G proof (vaccinated/recovered or tested) has been lifted for hotels, restaurants, bars, clubs, and events.
Entry regulations for Austria
- As of 16 May, the 3-G requirement to enter Austria (vaccinated, recovered or tested) has been lifted.
- For more detailed information on entry requirements see: https://www.oesterreich.gv.at/en/themen/coronavirus_in_oesterreich/pre-travel-clearance.html or https://www.viennaairport.com/currentinformation.